News From Across The OCA
• OCA.org has posted under the Metropolitan's titles, but not officially announced as yet, that the Metropolitan has assumed the title of "Locum Tenens of the Diocese of the Midwest". This is in addition to his duties as Metropolitan, Archbishop of the Diocese of Washington DC, and three other Sees he is currently tending as Locum Tenens (New York and New Jersey, South and the Bulgarian Diocese).
The Chancery has undergone several personnel changes for the new year.
• In light of the departure of Fr. Andrew Jarmus, former Director of Communication and Ministries, Fr. John Matusiak has assumed the title of Media Coordinator, in addition to his duties as the Managing Editor of The Orthodox Church.
• Fr Dennis Swencki will no longer be the Comptroller of the OCA, but will function as an Assistant to the Treasurer. He will work at the Chancery 2 days a week, assisting the treasurer with financial reporting in addition to coordinating FOS, appeals, and financial development.
• Following the departure of Archdeacon Kirill Sokolov for a new position in California, Protodeacon Joseph Matusiak has become the Metropolitan’s Deacon. He will also temporarily assist in coordinating some department work for the Chancery. He will continue to reside in Chicago.
• Mr. Frank Tkacz is no longer the manager of OCPC, as this position has been discontinued due to the recently announced reorganization of OCPC with SVS Press.
In other news from Syosset:
• The Metropolitan has offered a video explanation of why he signed the Manhattan Declaration on a private website. You can see it here.
Following liturgy at St. Innocent Cathedral on December 20, 2009, a benefit luncheon was held to assist former diocesan Bishop Nikolai (Soraich) with his medical expenses. The Bishop has publicly stated that he suffers from an aggressive prostate cancer. Informed sources have told OCANews.org that the Bishop has agreed to drop all legal actions against the OCA (past, present and future). It is expected that should the Serbian Church request his release to their jurisdiction, the OCA will agree to the release.
•South Canaan, PA
Applications are now being accepted until February 15th for the office of Dean of St. Tikhon's Seminary, which will become vacant June 1, 2010, following the consecration of the current Dean, Fr. Michael Dahulich, as the Bishop of New York in May, 2010.
The Dean is described as "the chief operating officer of the seminary and manages and supervises the seminary's spiritual, educational, communal, financial, and legal activities on a daily basis. He also represents the seminary before all agencies -- ecclesiastical, educational and civil -- to which it is accountable."
Members of the Search Committee include Bishop Tikhon of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania, Chairman; Mr. Michael Herzak, Vice-Chairman; Frs. Yaroslav Sudick, Joseph Martin, Theodore Boback, and Daniel Kovalak; Dr. Christopher Veniamin; Subdeacon Nicholas Blick; Ms. Leda Dzwonczyk and Mr. Kory Warr.